Saturday, May 13, 2017

Gritting Stitched Mops

Gritting Stitched Mops

The Von Becke Armoury archaic method... 

This method was taught to me as it was developed by Corny. I was with him when he got parts of it as we went around various metalwork supply places in Brisbane in the middle 1990's. As ever, technology marches on, and the belts we use are now second stringers, and the 'greaseless compounds' are superior, however I outfitted my armoury in 2016 before I knew about the improved belts (and they are a MASSIVE improvement), and I still have not got around to testing the heat gun activated 'greaseless compound. I am not adverse to change, I just need to get time and funds to test the new methods.

Whilst old tech, it is still easy to grab at my local Hardware shop Bunnings...


The method we used to use, and I still do for the moment, is to sand with ever finer regular belts on a linishing attachment on an Abbot and Ashby motor. Then we used ever finer grits on a stitched mop, then grey compound on a dark stitched mop, then white compound on a white stitched mop, and then a finishing polish on an unstitched mop. 

Most of this is very easy to understand and look up online, however a had not seen a guide to gritting a stitched mop, so I thought I would provide one.

Get the stitched mop that is new, or with the last grit worn off

Apply PVA glue to small sectors, and rub it in gently
Keep going till the wheel is covered
Gently pour the grit to the glued surface, and gently 'pat' it down
A catcher is used. This is a failed armour experiment that was the right size
Keep going until the wheel is covered all round with grit, let it dry at least 12 hours.

No comments: