Monday, February 1, 2016

20160201AssemblyAndPainting

I am partaking of a creativity workshop with my beloved Tig. The idea is to creatively make and also journal. The journal will be private, but I intend make the output public.

Today I got home from work, and did not have to cook, as I had leftovers. We watched a "Blacklist" while we ate, and afterwards I got into make mode.

I had previously clipped some plastic Eldar (space elves) from their sprue, and this meant they needed assembly.


Plastic figures are a great boon to model assembly. Plastic glue is very fast to set, but not so fast as to stop minor adjustments. It actually melts the plastic and 'welds' the two pieces together, and is exceptionally strong. The older methods with metal figures and two part epoxy glues were much more fiddly.

Here they are half assembled.

Final phase is fully assembled. You will see a couple are assembled and painted - I got these figures extremely inexpensively, as they were not mint. I do not have an Eldar army, but have always wanted to paint a few.

One my journey as a painter, I tried to paint a medieval style Elf army (Warhammer High Elves) as almost my first army. I did a fairly poor job, as I had no patience, no experience, no money for the right equipment, very little time, and an very little information. The company GW had classes, but they kept saying things that meant I had to spend vast sums of money, and do it their way. I wasn't ready to do it their way, and the money simply didn't exist for me. So luckily I found a way to expose myself to a lot of information. Coolminiornot.com showed me literally thousands of figures, all ranked, and in contrast to the vast majority of the internet, the comments were gold. They were sometimes bitchy, but that was from the people who were annoyed by their precious pieces being voted down. The comments were full of fantastic information about what the painter needed to do next, and this was backed with free tutorials of all sorts. Some of the pieces were phenomenal, and the artists were like rock stars. My favorite was Bobby Wong, an obsessive who washed his brushes in the shower with him. My favorite Australian was Victoria Lamb, who was a genius with directional lighting, and I have had the pleasure of meeting her face to face and having a wonderful meal, as she is a new friend of some of my oldest friends.

Anyway, back to space elves


 After the assembly, Tig and I were keen for another episode of Blacklist, so I kept going and got first translucent coats on some 15mm armoured vehicles. Along with the armour, you can see my wet pallette painting rig, with the spots, the paper, and the sponge underneath. This is the privateer press commercial rig. I have since learned from a reputable and skilled source that it is not one of the better rigs, and generally you will do better by getting the individual components from the supermarket :) I did not check things out enough once again!.

As an extra, I did some prep for being a paid bulk painter. This is all very rough.

Bart Beswick Bulk Batch Miniature Assembly and Painting.


There are many exquisite miniature painters offering to paint one or two of your miniatures to a high level of detail. I am offering a bulk batch service - simple but effective techniques to get miniatures ready for the table.

I am not a bargain price option. I am not hunting for mountains of low wage work. My clients will want a reasonable product for a real fee. One of my principles is that I will be charging my regular job full time rate for my miniatures painting, plus materials and business expenses.

-Estimate-
When you book a job, you will need to outline how many figures you want painted, to what level, and at what speed. From this, I will then outline the number of passes, and the cost each pass.

From here, you will receive a list of the passes required, and the cost of each pass, and an estimate of the total cost and delivery time. Any significant alteration to this estimate will be discussed as they happen.

-Free Progress Quick Update Photos-
I use photographs of each pass to motivate me when painting, and these photographs can be sent to the customer as progress shots.

I reserve the right to keep a final photograph of the finished product for advertising purposes.


Types of Passes:-

-Assembly -
Assembly of plastic figures using Plastic Glue: Two passes
Assembly of majority plastic figures using minor metal parts: Four passes
Assembly of plastic and metal combination figures: Six passes
Assembly of metal figures: Eight passes
Assembly requiring pinning: Additional four passes to the Assembly passes

-Spray can Undercoat-
Black or White Undercoat: Two passes
Any other colour: Two passes plus cost of gaining the spray can

-Standard Passes-
Bulk all figure super dry brush to 'under layer': One pass
Bulk single simple colour: One pass
Bulk dry brush over feature or colour: one pass
Bulk two pass colour (eg black and metallics): Two passes
Face 'pick out and Ink: One pass
Face 'pick out and highlight and ink': two passes
Weapon 'pick out' and colour: one pass
Accessory 'pick out' and colour: one pass

-Basing-
If included, Basing must have at least two effects.
Base colour - one pass
Additions are one pass each: Rocks and Rubble; Snow; Static grass; Tufts; Mud

No comments: